Claire Warne

June 17th, 2014

Galaxy Trotters – The ‘independent trainers’

1 comment

Claire Warne

June 17th, 2014

1 comment

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Center_of_the_Milky_Way_Galaxy_III_%E2%80%93_Chandra_(X-ray).jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Fools_and_Horses#mediaviewer/File:Trotters.jpg

As soon as I heard about the Global Corporate Challenge (GCC), I was instantly aware that I had to pull a strong team together.

In the back of my mind I knew that Richard Anderson was a runner (from Facebook ‘map my run’ daily updates) and Mark Papworth had racked up an impressive 18,000 steps at a recent Association for Student Residential Accommodation (ASRA) conference pedometer competition to see who could take the most steps over 2 days (the rest of us had averaged 4000!).

I thought about who else could join my team and remembered that Sarah Jons sometimes walks up the 221 steps in High Holborn to her flat on the 12th floor, which would definitely rack up a few steps for the team. Elias Daoud our Maintenance Supervisor plays football and has been known to run to work from his home in Croydon (ok, so it was back in August 2002, but it seems like yesterday), plus he plays football with his two boys every weekend.

Fabio Valencia from Bankside was the next obvious choice because he works out regularly and  if he didn’t get the results, Richard would be onto him like white on rice to ensure he didn’t let the team down. Last, but by no means least, I chose Bally Nandra, Facilities Manager for the Central Cluster. Bally is constantly flitting between the halls and if that didn’t clock up some mileage, I’m not sure what would. That just left me to improve my steps so I have started to cycle 6.3 miles a day to and from work.

All in all we have a winning team and we are all so proud to be challenging at the top of the leader board for Residences. See you all at the finish line! 😉

Neil Lawrence
Team Captain (Galaxy Trotters)

Claire Warne

Divisional Administrator, Residential Services

Posted In: Our colleagues | Staff events