Blog Editor

July 26th, 2011

Syria’s Arab Spring takes a long and twisted route

Blog Editor

July 26th, 2011

Syria is one Middle East country where the Arab Spring has not flowered. LSE work experience student Rida Hariri regards himself as a British Syrian and here he reflects on the country’s recent troubles.

My name is Rida Hariri and I have been at LSE for the past two weeks as part of my year 10 work experience. I attend Twyford Church of England High School in west London.

I describe myself as a British Syrian Muslim as I was born in England and have lived here all my life. But I am deeply attached to Syria which I visit regularly and hope to return to live there one day — so ultimately I regard myself as Syrian.

As part of my work experience Syerramia Willoughby, the editor of the Africa at LSE blog, asked me if I would like to learn about the blog. She explained why it had been set up and asked me if I would like to write a blog about Syria since I had such a passion about it.

So I decided to write this short blog on Syria, what is happening, why and its portrait in the media.

The uprisings across the Arab world have been exciting to watch. Everyone wants freedom and to have a say in how things are run. I talk with friends and family in Syria and in Britain about them all the time.

The current government of Syria has not given people much freedom and has not implemented justice well. This has made people unhappy with their lives. Over the last few months there have been movements and demonstrations demanding democracy and an end to corruption.

There has also been violence, deaths and injuries. The media have portrayed conflicting pictures about the situation in Syria. Some media over here portray the opposition simply as democrats fighting for freedom.

Others present some demonstrators as criminals. Some media outlets have tried to influence people’s views by portraying the government and the army as the enemy and the problem.

However the Syrian government has made changes, is making changes and hopefully will carry on making changes for democracy, freedom and justice. If not, they will cause their own downfall.

The situation is complicated and the picture is mixed. I agree some people are non-violently protesting and this is a good sign of democracy.

However some media sources have found evidence that some of the protesters have been paid by outsiders to go out on the streets and commit crimes which are unthinkable.

Some evidence has been revealed to the public through Ad Dunnia channel (Syrian TV Channel). The combination of all of this leads to headline-hitting stories filled with unsubstantiated information giving people over here a bad image about Syria.

At the end of the day, no one outside of Syria can truly force a change if the people of Syria do not want it. Most people in Syria want security and peace.

Some people may describe me as a moderate Muslim, however I am not pro or anti West. I still hold the main values which make me a Muslim. I do my daily prayer, eat halal food, and alcohol has not touched my lips. I try to apply Muslim values and treat people with respect and fairness regardless of religion, race or gender.

I am 16 now and do not want to see violence escalate in Syria like in Libya. It seems to me that once you get violence by one group, then you get retaliation and then you get hatred and fear everywhere and at this current moment, nearly every Syrian man, women and child is asking for peace and security.

I want to see a peaceful transition to a more democratic and modern Syria – one I can live in peacefully. And to get to that peaceful situation we have to understand that the picture is not simple – there is good and bad in both government and opposition.

Once you see that it makes it easier for people to work towards solutions that work for everyone. I want to see media that reflects and gives everyone a voice, which is what is slowly happening now.

I am going to Syria in two weeks time and I am not worried about my safety. The message from Syria is that the situation is not that bad.

I hope to write another blog after I come back in a few weeks time. My opinion may change, or it may not. I send a message to everyone: to investigate themselves and to study both pro-government and anti-government media sources.

Blog Editor

Posted In: Conflict