Abena Boateng

June 10th, 2021

Marketing now vs then – Reasons why you should consider LSE’s marketing programme

Abena Boateng

June 10th, 2021

Marketing, just like most fields of study keeps evolving and it is hard to keep up with the changes. I remember advertising and sales being the epitome of marketing for a long time, then came digital marketing.

I mean, there have been a lot of popular topics in-between, but you will agree with me that digital marketing is the new thing today. What many have not figured out yet is the importance of marketing analytics and behavioural science in decision making within a firm and digital marketing is just a section of it. It is the ‘new kid on the block’ helping organisations increase their revenues big time. So, if you have not cracked the code on how important this programme is, then you should certainly read on.

Every firm wants to know how they can be profitable and some of the debating topics on how to do so varies from who they should sell to, consumer preference, how to prevent sales from plunging, amongst others. It is difficult to answer these questions without concrete data. This is because consumers have multiplied in size and have become complex and unpredictable.

To become an efficient decision maker, it is beneficial to know how to analyse and interpret data. Understanding the results can help you save an organisation from making irreversible losses. Even though data gives us fixed solutions, consumers are not that rigid. It is important to understand how people behave to be able to accurately predict their actions.

The basic idea of this programme is that it combines both data analytics and the understanding of consumers to help us make better decisions. Lecturers use case studies to demonstrate how some of the marketing issues are tackled using these concepts and the discussions held are intellectually stimulating.

The analytics component of the course will equip you with the knowledge on how to research, measure and predict trends and understand why some marketing decisions fail.

The behavioural science aspect of the course will enlighten you on how customers think and feel including how to persuade them to purchase your product.

Companies such as Amazon and Unilever, dwell heavily on these concepts and it is one of the factors that make them a success in their respective industries. This course will surely also make you stand out in the job market as the skills and knowledge acquired is rare and employees know your worth enough to want you as a part of their team.

The MSc Marketing programme is indeed a recipe for success.

I asked my friends from the course to share their genuine experience and here are their responses.

Li-Yang, Malaysia.

I am really enjoying my course so far. I think the lecturers are very engaging and knowledgeable, and my course mates are friendly and diverse. In terms of course content, I like the fact that there’s a strong focus on behavioural science and its application to marketing communications. Apart from this, we are given the flexibility to take other modules from the department of management, which provides us with an in-depth understanding of business strategy.

Malak, United Arab Emirates.

Attending the London School of Economics has been one of the best decisions I have made. Coming from a Marketing undergraduate programme, I thought I would know everything there is to know about marketing so far, but at LSE I am learning something new every day. LSE is helping me enhance my skillset and capabilities from both an analytical and theoretical preceptive. Most importantly, having a cohort from distinctive backgrounds has allowed me to meet wonderful individuals who I am proud to call my colleagues and friends. I am looking forward to applying my new attained skills once I graduate with an MSc in Marketing.

Zachary, USA.

My experience undertaking the MSc Marketing course at LSE has been fantastic. The core modules in the first term are hands on, engaging and helps to develop a practical skillset valuable to any prospective student. The second term has allowed me to broaden my horizons and expand my module choices significantly. Having the flexibility to tailor your studies to your specific goals and skillsets is invaluable, and I have not looked back once since joining the programme.

Abena Boateng LSE headshot

Abena Boateng

MSc Marketing student 2020/21

Posted In: Choosing LSE | The Student Lens