Pauline Sui

Toronto to London: My first month at LSE

Pauline Sui

Pauline Sui, a first year BSc Management student from Canada reflects on her first month at LSE during a global pandemic.

A global pandemic, a non-existent freshers week, and a whole new country. You are probably thinking that this is beginning to look like a recipe for disaster when embarking on your first month at LSE as an international undergraduate student.

However, I’m delighted to say that, with all extenuating circumstances aside, my first month at LSE felt like a coming of age film. A series of emotional ups and downs, new friends that I feel I’ve known my whole life, and a whole lot of personal growth, or what I call, “adulting”, that is unfortunately, completely unavoidable.

My arrival

Once I landed in London from Toronto, I was fortunately greeted by sunshine and blue skies, something that has become quite foreign to me now. I moved in with my parents to Bankside Hall, which is, even with COVID-19, still a very sociable and exciting residence. Once my parents left, the waterworks began flowing immediately.

I had finally realized that I was truly alone, completely independent, with nothing familiar to rely on.

It was difficult emotionally for the first day or so, however, with so many virtual welcome events and friends that I was eager to meet for the first time face-to-face, I had almost no choice but to immerse myself into the university culture.

Freshers

I arrived on campus during the middle of what would have been freshers week. Evidently, very little in person events were running this year, however, there were still small gatherings in my hall that made meeting new people possible, while still staying safe.

TIP: With the pandemic aside, my biggest tip before coming to LSE is to reach out to people before coming to campus so that you have a network of people that will make adapting to university life a lot easier. Finding people from Canada, where I’m from, and chatting with them prior to arriving on campus was immensely beneficial. I felt that I already had close friends, which made any kind of first year loneliness disappear.

Although pub nights are very rare, there are a myriad of ways to still have fun, whether that’d be drinks with friends near the Thames at night or even small dorm room hangouts. Keep in mind that although the world may never be like it was before, your university experience does not have to be compromised.

TIP: I recommend joining as many societies as possible and actively become involved in a select few to meet people outside your cohort who have similar interests.

Keep in mind that although the world may never be like it was before, your university experience does not have to be compromised.

Coronavirus

With the current COVID-19 circumstances in effect, I’d be lying if I said that it is all rainbows and sunshine.

From my current experience, there is an even heavier reliance placed on self-study as the majority of teaching is being done virtually. There is a lack of consistency that I’ve had to adapt to however, it helps that the whole world is in the same boat – although feeling alone in all your troubles is an easy pool of thought to tap into from time to time.

I’ve dealt with my fair share of anxiety and stress induced breakdowns so far, however, the resources available for mental well-being at LSE have been of great help. Conversations with my academic mentor, and allowing myself to be more vulnerable with friends have made the inevitable lowlights of being a fresher, not so low after all.

All the help you need is available to you as long as you take the first step to actively look for it.

This also applies to the academic side of things. It’s scary how easy it is to fall behind on lectures and class work with the current pandemic in effect. I’m personally finding that motivation is in rather low supply, as there are so many ways to get distracted.

TIP: Definitely keep a strict schedule and calendar in place to avoid binge watching lectures at 2x speed, something I’m trying my best to not make a habit out of.

Conclusion

Even though this pandemic has been like a sci-fi moving nightmare come to life, I hope to continue making the most out of my experience at LSE as a BSc Management student and cannot wait for what lies ahead.

This first month has been quite the rollercoaster, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Although I do wish that I was not paying 5 pounds for Circuit laundry weekly, and that tuition fees could potentially be reduced, I am still having the time of my life and am excited to update you periodically as my first year progresses.

This was my journey to LSE, what will yours be like?

Learn more about our BSc Management programme

Pauline Sui

BSc Management student 2020/2023

Posted In: Student life | The Student Lens